Buying your first home is one of the most exciting times in your life – but it can also be one of the most stressful. When it comes to purchasing the house you are going to spend the next five, ten, twenty or more years of your life, it is important that every part of the buying process is done right.
With BuchananBurton you get both an estate agent and conveyancing law firm in one. We are a one-stop shop for your property buying needs. We will make sure the whole process is smooth and stress-free so you concentrate on enjoying this exciting chapter of your life. Contact us today to find out how we can with any aspect of your property purchase.
Buying a Home – First Steps
It can be difficult to know where to start with buying your first home. We can guide you throughout the process, including with these first steps:
- Establish how much you can afford. When you are clear about your financial position it makes your property search more focused and will give you confidence that you are looking for the right homes. We can help you find a reputable mortgage provider so you can be sure you are getting the best advice and deals.
- Start looking for properties. We will listen to your priorities and wishes and help you find a home that ticks all your boxes.
- Register a ‘note of interest’ with the seller’s agent. This shows you are interested in the property and want to be notified of any developments, like a closing date for submitting offers.
- Submit an offer on your dream home. At BuchananBurton, we will provide expert advice for your offer and help you negotiate an acceptable purchase price.
Conveyancing is where the ownership of the property is transferred from the seller to the buyer. This can be a tense stage for buyers as it can be subject to delays and the seller can pull out before the contract has been completed. We pride ourselves on our extensive conveyancing experience and use this knowledge to identify and resolve potential issues quickly, helping to minimise stress and delays for our clients. We will take care of the following:
- Monitor the chain of buyers and sellers. It is important to note that there is usually a chain of buyers and sellers, and the longer this chain is, the longer the purchase will take to complete – and the higher the chance the sale will fall through. That is why it is beneficial to have BuchananBurton’s experience and expertise on your side.
- Obtain the contract pack from the seller.
- Raise your pre-contract enquiries and negotiate the contract terms with the seller.
- Undertake searches of the Registers of Scotland and other necessary databases. While we carry out searches and check with the local authority to find out whether there are any planning permissions affecting the property, we can also check the Home Report, which will help you understand how much the property is going to cost you to run. It includes:
- an energy report;
- a survey; and
- a property questionnaire.
- Arrange home surveys (including home condition surveys, homebuyer reports and structural reports).
- Exchange contracts.
- Prepare a draft transfer deed and completion information form to send to the seller.
- Prepare a completion statement and carrying out pre-completion searches.
- Send the proceeds of sale to the seller’s lawyer.
- Conclude the missives.
- Complete the sale and receive the keys to the property.
Afterwards, we will make sure that the Lands and Buildings Transaction Tax (LBTT) has been paid on the property, and that your new home is registered in your name in the land register.
Having solicitors with local knowledge is invaluable when you are buying your first property – especially if you are new to an area. At BuchananBurton, we serve clients in East Kilbride, Strathaven, Thorntonhall, Carmunnock, Hamilton, Clarkston, Busby and the surrounding areas. We can give you advice on property prices or on any specific issues with certain areas; for instance, if there was once mining in the area.
Contact our Conveyancing Solicitors – Providing Legal Services within East Kilbride, Hamilton, Strathaven & Glasgow South Side
At BuchananBurton, we speak your language. Our advice is down-to-earth and practical – giving you real solutions to your everyday problems. Our solicitors offer cost-effective solutions to your legal needs, ensuring you have a good understanding of your options every step of the way.
Pop into our office, give us a call on 01355 249 228 or contact us via our online contact form and someone will be in touch shortly.