When you are buying a property, it is important that you know what you are paying for. There can be hidden surprises and factors you may not consider, like the potential for flooding or the effect of old mining activity in the area. That is why it pays to instruct specialist property solicitors to make sure all the necessary checks and surveys are carried out.
At BuchananBurton, we provide a wide range of services to property buyers, including instructing surveys. We ensure no stone is left unturned so our clients are fully informed when they are buying their next property. For straightforward, practical advice on all aspects of your property purchase, get in touch with us today.
The expert Conveyancing Solicitors at BuchananBurton can help you review and assess the Home Report provided by the seller. All houses for sale in Scotland must be marketed with a Home Report. It is a pack of three documents:
- A single survey, which contains an assessment by a surveyor of the condition of the home, a valuation and an accessibility audit for people with particular needs.
- An energy report, which contains an assessment by a surveyor of the energy efficiency of the home, and its environmental impact. It also recommends ways to improve energy efficiency.
- A property questionnaire, which is completed by the seller and contains useful information about the property, such as council tax banding and factoring costs.
While the Home Report is useful, it is often the case that it is not detailed enough to offer you the peace of mind you need when buying a property. That is where independent surveys can help.
Your mortgage provider will arrange a survey of the property but it is strongly recommended that you instruct your own survey so you are fully aware of any problems with the property before you buy. There are three main types of survey, and we will provide advice on which one, or combination, would be the most appropriate and cost-effective for your purchase.
- Mortgage valuation report (scheme 1 survey). This is the cheapest type of inspection and is carried out with a view to providing a valuation for the purposes of getting a mortgage.
- Homebuyers report (scheme 2 survey). This will examine the structure of the property as well as the value, and should identify any existing or future problems with it.
- Full structural survey (buildings survey). This is expensive, but it provides the most thorough inspection of the property.
When helping you instruct a survey, the Conveyancing Solicitors at BuchananBurton will ensure the surveyor is a member of one of the necessary professional bodies, so you are confident that they will do the job properly. These include:
- the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors;
- the Incorporated Society of Valuers and Auctioneers; and
- the Incorporated Association of Architects and Surveyors.
In the event, that there are issues with the property, you will need to decide whether you want to continue with the purchase, and if so, how much it will cost to rectify the issues and who will bear the cost.
New Build Guarantee
Most new properties in Scotland are covered by a guarantee scheme to protect you against any major structural faults, which may develop up to 10 years after the property is built. However, if a new property is not covered by one of these schemes, it may be the case that a lender would still be happy to provide a mortgage if the property was built under the supervision of an architect or a surveyor.
Local knowledge is paramount when it comes to identifying any issues that may affect the property you are buying. For instance, we may need to investigate the flood risk in the area. While the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA) provides flood maps, it is also very helpful to know the area.
We are local solicitors for clients in East Kilbride, Strathaven, Thorntonhall, Carmunnock, Hamilton, Clarkston, Busby and the surrounding areas. We are well placed not only to carry out the legal technicalities when it comes to instructing surveys, but also in knowing the issues that may arise, simply because we are locals.
Contact our Conveyancing Solicitors – Providing Legal Services within East Kilbride, Hamilton, Strathaven & Glasgow South Side
At BuchananBurton, we speak your language. Our advice is down-to-earth and practical – giving you real solutions to your everyday problems. Our solicitors offer cost-effective solutions to your legal needs, ensuring you have a good understanding of your options every step of the way.
Pop into our office, give us a call on 01355 249 228 or contact us via our online contact form and someone will be in touch shortly.